Moving Back East

Moving Back East

Well, I’m sitting in my house, PJ is running around, and I’m putting off all the things I should/could be doing instead of blogging. But as unpacking boxes doesn’t sound very appealing to me and my cup of coffee is calling my name, writing and getting my caffeine boost for the day seemed like the right choice.

If you’ve been here before, you might notice a new blog name and design. Since we aren’t in the Bay Area anymore, I felt like a new name was needed. But as I am not very tech savvy when it comes to blogs and domains and wordpress, I’m not changing the actual web address to get to the blog. Maybe one day I’ll figure out how to switch everything over. Maybe.

Because I aim to please and I know y’all have been anxiously waiting for a blog post (or 2, or 3 or 4 if you’re really lucky) about the move and the house, etc, here’s the beginning of the tale.

The past few weeks have been nothing short of chaos, with Derrick traveling to China, me trying to get to Atlanta for a job interview the week the storms wrecked everything and Delta seemed to suck more than United for canceling thousands of flights, packing, and wrapping up things at work. Last Saturday, with the help of our awesome California friends, we loaded up a u-haul with all our things. One of my father-in-law’s employees flew to California on Sunday and then got in the u-haul and set off for GA with our stuff and my car in tow.

I really liked that our u-haul had a Viking longship on it. Skol!

We managed to get dressed up for Easter though, and had a chance to say good-bye to our church friends.


Sunday seemed like the longest day ever waiting for 8:30 when it would be time to take the cat, the baby, and 4 suitcases to the airport for our red-eye flight to Atlanta.

Makeshift crib using suitcases and a sleeping bag since everything else was on the truck

But finally, the taxi van arrived and dropped us off. Our flight was scheduled to leave at 10:44, but because of mechanical issues, was delayed until a take-off close to midnight. Penny was awake the whole time at the airport, despite it being waaaaaaaay past her bedtime. Thanks to all of DQ’s travel, he was able to get us upgraded to first class for the flight, which was amazing because we had the extra space and a row all to ourselves. Thankfully, Penny slept the entire flight. The cat meowed/cried the whole time during take off and we were worried it would be a long flight if he kept it up, but he quieted down until landing, so somehow, we managed to survive the flight. I never knew 4 hrs and 11 minutes could feel so long.

Exhausted but thrilled to have the flight over with, we got all our stuff, met my sister-in-law at pickup outside the airport so she could go get on her flight while we took her car to get to the house.

Derrick saw the house for the first time and didn’t fall on the ground weeping because he hated it, so that was a relief for me. Our u-haul showed up early Wednesday afternoon (which has to be a record for getting a u-haul across the country in just about 36 hrs!). We spent Wednesday unloading the truck and by Thursday night we had everything in the house (we left stuff in the garage on Wednesday then hauled the rest in on Thursday).

So our days have been busy with moving things and unpacking boxes, buying furniture, picking out a refrigerator (which was delivered yesterday! yay!), and settling into the house. There’s so many small (and some big) projects that I want to do in the house, but I’m trying to be patient because obviously we don’t have unlimited time and money to do everything all at once. So I’ll live with an interior paint color I hate and a tile floor in the living room and a horrible light fixture in the half bathroom, among other things, for the time being and just appreciate the fact that we finally have a great house.

I’m so thankful that we have been blessed with so many great people who made this whole move go so well. Even though I was feeling stressed about it, I know that it would have been a million times harder had it not been for all our family and friends who gave us prayers, support, time, effort, and everything in between. So thank you to everyone!

Penny is supervising.

I’m hoping to show off some pictures of the house once we have things a bit more settled, so stay tuned if you’re one of those people who likes “before and after” room pictures!

Happy weekend, y’all!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s