You know what else is cool? My cat seems to be really into supporting and helping me prepare for baby. How, you ask? By throwing up on my bed at 3 am, waking me up and causing me to have to get up, clean it up, strip the bed, start the washer, find another comforter, and then crawl back into bed. I actually thought as I went through this that morning (feeling strangely alert) that this wouldn’t be the last time I was up in the wee hrs of the morning dealing with this kind of thing. So, thanks kitty, for helping me hone my mom skills (That drama was our big excitement for the week last week).
Two weeks ago I got a maternity Stitch Fix. I am a big fan of Stitch Fix and have managed to get my mom and sister hooked on it too. I was a little hesitant about doing a maternity fix, but figured $20 was worth it to try. While I was pretty disappointed in the dress they sent (and I had specifically requested a fabulous dress), three of the tops were pretty cute and believe me, these days, I need all the help I can get to feel good about how I look (I know, I know, I’m supposed to gain weight and have a baby bump but it’s still so weird).
And now, a round-up of things I’m loving this week:
- My favorite news stories, all animal-related, and all from Scotland because BBC Scotland News always has the best stories: In the weasel category, we have this story about stoats and this update on my favorite weasel-species, the pine marten. Here’s an article about special Scottish bees, in honor of the fact that Elementary finally started a new season (if you’ve seen it, you’ll get the bee reference). And finally, dolphins with a dark side. Because it’s all fun and games until dolphins attack.
- The Great British Baking Show. A coworker of mine, knowing my love for all things Anglo, told me I should watch this show and that a new season was starting this fall. I am in love with this show! I can’t really articulate what it is about this show that I love so much, but it is just so British and fun. This Sunday is the final night of the season and I’ve got one contestant (out of the 3 left) that I’ve been pulling for all season. I hope she wins! You may be able to watch on your TV’s on-demand or maybe at PBS.org or maybe you’ll have to wait till it goes to Netflix. But I highly recommend it!
- Justin Timberlake being awesome at the CMAs. Just because I absolutely love me some JT!
- Oh and let’s talk about college football. Clemson got named at #1 in the CFB rankings. I’m excited but nervous at the same time! I feel like FSU this weekend will really be gunning for us to ruin our season, but I know we can beat them, as long as we play focused and tough. I’m personally hoping we take a strong early lead and then I don’t have to be stressed for the whole game.
- Other things I’m excited about: the new James Bond movie, Spectre. I’m hoping we have time to go see it in the movie theatre (Derrick has some other upcoming travel, so it makes our schedule a little more complicated). The “Herdwick Shepherd,” James Rebanks, has another book out (a few posts ago I believe I recommended his first book The Shepherd’s Life) called The Illustrated Herdwick Shepherd, which basically looks like it involves a lot of pictures of sheep and fells and other pretty pastoral scenes. I’m adding that to my Christmas list for Santa! And I don’t know that “excited” is the right word for it, but a coworker recommended seeing/reading Far from the Madding Crowd, by Thomas Hardy and I discovered I can read it for free on one of my iPad apps. Seeing as I found the end of Tess of the d’Urbervilles pretty disappointing, I’m preparing myself for another bad ending, even though supposedly this one ends well. We shall see about that.
Happy Friday! GO CLEMSON!